Monday, October 6, 2008

Principle #3 - The Power of a Good Attitude

No, the Power of a Good Attitude is not about plastering a fake smile on your face and acting like everything's ok. It's about having a heart filled with love and contentment. It's about living a life filled with God's joy. It's easy to get frustrated and overwhelmed when things aren't going how you'd like: Kayla won't obey you when you tell her to brush her teeth, Ross is doing poorly in math, as a mom you lose your temper and have your very own set of insecurities... Maybe your family is facing a divorce or a death. Have you ever asked why God allows these struggles to happen? If not, you've surely heard someone else ask it. Have you found the answer?

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy...whenever you face trials...testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

2 Cor 1:6-7 So when you are weighed down with troubles, it is for your benefit and salvation! For when God comforts us, it is so that we, in turn, can be an encouragement to you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in suffering, you will also share God's comfort.

If we think of our struggles as being "first filtered though his loving hands" doesn't it make it seem more bearable? God is allowing us to be tested so we can help others, grow stronger in our faith and in our relationship and reliance on Him!

Here are some other verses that you can turn to as needed.

2 Cor 1:9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we learned not to rely on ourselves, but on God who can raise the dead.

Psalm 61:1-4 O God, Listen to my cry! Hear my prayer! From the ends of the earth, I will cry to you for help, for my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!

Psalm 42:5, 42:11 & 43:5 Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God!

Hebrews 12:2 ...He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward...

"Putting your good attitude hat on" as my daughter says and "keeping your 'tudes on" as my dad said when I was a kid, is a conscious, daily effort. But, if we turn to Christ, it will become a more natural part of us. Remember that God is with us through our struggles.

Psalm 37:23-24 The steps of the godly are directed by the LORD. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will not fall, for the LORD holds them by the hand.

God Bless!

Katie Watterson

PS Our next meeting is on Friday, October 17th. Hope you come!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey everyone! I don't have a lot to say, but I wanted to start some comments on the blog...Hope you guys are all having a good week. I have definitely been working on principle 3 this week, though it has not been easy changing my habits. Ok, see you this Friday..

Amber said...

When is our next group? I've last track since I haven't been able to attend the last two groups....