Thursday, August 7, 2008

Employed by God

Colossians 3:23-24 says, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” We’ve probably all heard these verses, but have we truly applied them to our own lives? When I sat down to write my job description, I admit, I thought it seemed a little goofy. But, since I wanted to apply these verses, I did it. First, I thought about the qualities I believe I, as a mom, should possess, as well as the duties I think I should perform. Then I put it all together. It came out more like a classified advertisement, but it works for what I wanted to convey. Here it is:

Patient, Christian wanted to care for children 24/7. Duties:
· provide general care (i.e. change diapers, bathe, prepare nutritious meals) as well as special care when children are hurt, ill, and/or emotionally vulnerable
· in charge of running the household: maintaining calendar, budget, menu, maintaining cleanliness, and organizing quality family time
· responsible for each family member’s participation in activities, including transporting and cheering them on
· must work on having a good relationship with her husband, which should be evident to children
· must love her children enough to provide consistent discipline, guidance and boundaries in a firm, but loving way
· must be a good role model in attitude, behavior and acts of service
· must model a genuine, strong relationship with Jesus Christ, continually seeking his will and modeling obedience
· must be willing to snuggle, cheer, sing, dance, skip and be silly, all in the name of love
Endless supply of tissues and hugs a must. Vacation allowed during occasional “date nights.” No experience needed – on the job training provided.

It’s easy to look at this list and be overwhelmed. I ask myself, “Do I really do all of that??” The answer is a resounding, NO! Yes, I strive for these things and feel God is calling me to them, but I know I fall short. I am humbled to know that God has chosen me for my children and my children for me. We are a perfect fit! Even when I fall short of the job description I have for myself, God can lift me up and push me to achieve even more. Only with him can I achieve all of these things. Are there days when I’d rather be anywhere but home with my kids? Sure. But the true love of a mother is that most days there’s nowhere I’d rather be.

Now back to Colossians, are you doing your job as if you’re working for the Lord - wiping noses and breaking up sibling fights with patience and a good attitude? It helps to imagine God sitting there beside your children, watching you mother them. If he was there, would you do things differently? Surprise, ladies, he IS there.

Please take some time to write your own job description and share them on the blog. I look forward to hearing from you. I hope you will be able to come to our meeting next Friday, August 15th @ 9:30 am. We’ll be talking about some myths of motherhood and our purpose as moms. Please read chapters 1 & 2 and complete the “Read, Pray, Choose & Do” at the end of each chapter. See you next Friday!

Katie Watterson

And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, all the while giving thanks through him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17

3 comments:

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

It was hard for me to find time to write my job description, but I'm so glad I did! Here it is:
Patient, energetic, loving, and fun Christian woman needed! Must be able to give selflessly, love unconditionally, multitask, and work with little sleep. Duties will include but are not limited to:
Basic Childcare – diaper changing, bathing, feeding, and dressing daily.
Basic Nursing/First Aid – taking temperatures, administering medicine, applying bandages….consult a physician when needed!
Cooking – daily prepare delicious and nutritious meals.
Housekeeping/Interior Decorator – keep a neat and tidy home that is warm and inviting. Perform tasks such as: laundry, vacuuming, washing dishes, and scrubbing toilets.
Administrative – Answering the phone, taking messages, writing emails, sending birthday and anniversary cards, scheduling the family’s activities. Excellent organizational skills a must!
Personal Assistant – must do the family’s shopping and errands.
Party Planning – will need to creatively plan birthdays, anniversaries, showers (baby, bridal, etc) backyard barbecues, Holidays, date nights, etc.
Animal caretaking – provide care for one large dog.
Teaching – Teaching will take place during everyday experiences and activities on an infinite amount of subjects.
Cheerleading/Clowning - will need to provide support, encouragement, and motivation.
Counseling – will need to be a good listener. Problem solving skills are a must!
Currently, the duties will be required for a family of three (four with the dog). However, this family will be growing to an undetermined size in an unspecified amount of time! This woman needs to be full of smiles, hugs, and silly songs. Must be able to provide firm and loving discipline when needed. Must also be loving, compassionate, nurturing, gentle, and kind. This woman must maintain a healthy, loving, passionate, romantic relationship with her husband. Lastly, but most importantly, will need to also maintain a healthy relationship with Jesus, spending time with Him daily. This woman will be required to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with no vacation and very little sick leave. Pay will not be monetary.
~Amber Piller

Ashley said...

I really like your mom description Amber. Especially the part about "pay will not be monetary". It's so true that we get "paid" in the sweet, cute, awesome things our kids do or the simple smiles & hugs they give from day to day. I never really thought of it as "pay" before, but it really is! :D & so much more valuable than money!