Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Power of Encouragement

Good morning fellow Flatland Moms! I hope and pray that you are all doing well and have had a great week! Have you been putting into practice some of the things we talked about last week? I certainly haven't taken my husbands shoes off for him ;), but I am becoming more aware of my God given role in the home and am trying to slow down and enjoy my family more. I am even prayerfully trying to eliminate one or two things from my list of commitments to create more family time! I hope you have all been challenged to do the same! :)

I am really excited about meeting this next week! We are going to be touching on three different topics all related to Encouragement! Ch. 3 is dealing with the impact of a good word. As mom's we all want to say positive things to our children, but do we make it a priority and really think about what we are saying and the impact of what we say has on our children's lives? Ch. 4 talks about helping our children discover their potential. We will talk about specifically looking for and encouraging each of our kid's special abilities and talents. We are our kids cheerleaders! I know that something I have been dealing with lately is thinking about who or what my children will be when they are older. Sometimes I get so caught up in worrying if they will be smart and popular and althletic and good boys and a productive member of society that I forget to pray about it! God has really been showing me lately that I need to give them over to Him. He has a plan for their lives and if I am the best mom that I can be and raise them through prayer and teaching them His principals then He will be faithful and I know they will turn out to be amazing men of God! What an amazing promise! In ch. 5 we will talk about the beauty of a smile! Are you ever having a bad day and someone smiles at you and has a good attitue and it slowly starts to change your mood? I think sometimes we forget the impact of a positive attitude. " When mama aint happy, aint nobody happy!" Have you ever heard that one? I know that when I am in a bad mood my little boy and husband can definately sense it and they too start to become crabby! Start to practice spreading smiles!

Well, I am looking forward to this next week. I am excited to see what you all have to say about these topics! Please commit to prayerfully reading the chapters, asking God to show you what he would have you learn, and doing the activities at the end. They are a practical way to bring the chapter together and help to focus what we have just read about. I know they have really helped me! :) I will be asking you to share so have something ready! :) For those of you mom's who aren't able to join us in class please share your assignments on the blog. We would love to see what God is showing you and hear your stories as well!

Have a great week - see you soon!

Alisha

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

5 comments:

Cherie' said...

Hey mom's!! Today I gave my notice to my boss that I will be staying home with my daughter! I am so excited to be able to be with her! My husband and I just made this decision over the weekend, and I cannot wait! It won't be for 4 weeks though! I will be able to be at your mom's group now! Well, I just wanted to share my news/excitement with everyone! I hope you all have a great week!

Katie said...

Cherie', I'm so excited for you to stay home and for you to join our group!

For those of you that have read, isn't this good stuff??? Good and practical.

Alisha, Katie and Monessa said...

Yeahhhhhh! I am so happy! God is so good! He always provides! I can't wait for you to be a part of the group little sis! :)

Amber said...

I'm very excited about tomorrow's meeting! I found chapter four harder for me to apply to my life with an eight month old as there is so much that Nehemiah is still developing. As he grows, I will do my best to see his potential and encourage him in it! I have made it a point to speak positively to both my son and my husband. Nehemiah may not understand everything I say to him yet, but he understands my loving, supportive, encouraging attitude! I've also smiled more....to strangers at the grocery store, my neighbors, my husband, and of course my son! Looking forward to seeing you all in the morning!

Cherie: So happy for you! Can't wait to see you at Mom's Group!

Ashley said...

I just wanted to share an exciting accomplishment/milestone with Nathan (my 2-yr-old). We are officially done w/ the binky!! He spent the week w/ my mom last week & he didn't use it at all there, so we are continuing it here. It's been a little rougher here at home because he's used to it here, but it's so nice to be done! The week with grandma was also very refreshing for us all I think! Trevor missed his big brother & was crabby w/o him to entertain him though. I feel more energized to deal w/ Nate's "terrible 2" moments & I appreciate him more again. He also seems sweeter & not to have quite as many ornery moments. Don't know if it's really true or it just feels that way since I missed him so much. :) Anyway. Just thought I'd share. It definitely gave me more energy to be a positive mom! :D